Monday, May 30, 2011

May 30, 2011



hola familia, yes another week has gone by. this change is already over half way over. ahh. hermana knapp and I are praying that we stay together another change. it would be really sad to change right now with so many prospects. mom, I am doing good, really. Don't worry. my clothes are fine. the only complaint I have are my sore feet. my toes hurt. I think it is because of the streets. you will see when you come! I cant crack my toes anymore because they don't bend that far. I kind of limp when I get out of bed in the morning. but during the day I am good. 
well, we had some really great lessons this week. first of all. I was kind of freaking out about alejandra, the cutest 19 yr old girl. she had a baptismal date for the 28th of may but the week before she cancelled all her appointments with us and didn't call us back. I was so scared she was avoiding us. but then she came to church again yesterday, loved it, and then we had such an awesome lesson last night with her. for the first time she said that she really wants so be baptized. she said that every time she goes to church she likes it more and more, and that she really feels like she has received an answer. she even said that she wants to serve a mission like us! and this is coming from a girl who refused to go to church for practically 3 months because she was scared. it is incredible to see the change in her. and with this, her boyfriend is coming to church too. he was inactive for a really long time but is finally coming again. 
we finally found carlitos again. he is impossible to find. we talked with him about why he wants to be baptized. he knows it is true, but he needs to internalize what it means to be a member of the church. it is not just, yea, I'm a member now, my life will be so much better. being a member isn't a quick fix for your life. it is a new beginning with a changed heart. we know  more of what he needs now and what to focus on when we teach. he will be baptized, but when he is more ready. 
we had two families that were finally going to come to church yesterday, but they ended up not coming. I will tell more about them next week. they are so great. they have been progressing really slowly because they are very busy and we can't teach them usually more that once a week, but it finally means something more to them now. I hope they come next week to church!! sundays are so stressful. well at least in the morning, because we are running around trying to make sure everyone comes, but sometimes, it just doesn't go as planned.
well, I am running out of time. but as for the funny moment of the week. a couple weeks ago we ran into an inactive man who waved us down and told us that he wants to come to church again but has moved. so he gave us his address to give to the elders in his barrio. we were walking the other day and passed by him sitting with his friend in front of some mini market. beer in hand and quite drunk, he is like ´hermanas!!´ and continues to go on and on. he was way friendly before, and even more this time. in front of the market is a bunch of fruit for sale and he says ´what do you want, pick some fruit.  I can't do it justice, but we were like, no it's ok. we are fine. but he kept insisting over and over again that he wanted to buy us fruit. so we finally said. ok. one banana is fine, he was like noooo, you have to take this huge bunch of bananas. we tried to deny, especially since I don't eat very many bananas, but he was not going to let us leave without accepting and we were late to an appointment. all the the workers I am sure got a kick out of that. it was quite funny. so now we have a million bananas. anyways, got to go. I love you all so much. david, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday the other week. so happy late birthday! love you. 
love,
hermana plummer

Here is an email from a missionary mom I got to know, before Whitney left for Paraguay.  She had a daughter in Paraguay, reached out to me and was there for me in every way - answering questions and giving love and support. Her daughter Shauna Sargent, came home late March.  Shauna took her parents and sister back to visit Paraguay last week.  Shauna's first area was Leopardi where Whitney is serving.  The Sargents had lunch with Whitney at a members home.  This is the message I got from Sister Sargent.
Jayne Sargent May 29 at 11:24pm Report
Hi Louise...Your daughter Whitney...or should I say Hermana Plummer...is ABSOLUTELY darling!!! We did have lunch with her and her comp last Sunday. I sat right next to her during our meal and was able to talk a bunch with her. She seems happy, healthy and loving her mission. She is working hard. I also passed to her the "mom hug" which I think she was grateful for. :) 

Our trip to Paraguay was amazing...a once in a lifetime experience for sure. To walk the streets where Shauna walked and meet her people was just incredible. We loved every minute of it. I'm so proud of our girls...this is not an easy mission in many ways. You just wouldn't really believe how the people live there. And, to think of Whitney and Shauna being mentally, physically and spiritually capable of serving there proves to me that they are strong young women. 

We were fortunate to meet Pres. and Hermana Callan. I mentioned that I was looking forward to meeting your daughter. Pres. Callan said that their companionship was good and that they were "good, solid missionaries"! Doesn't that just make you feel so good? 

Well, just wanted to touch base and let you know how wonderful it was to see Whitney. She is doing GREAT!!! I have pics that I will post soon. I'm still desperately trying to get my feet back on the ground.

Hope your week is off to a great start!!! I guess you'll be hearing from your missionary!!! Tell her hi for me!!

Loves,
Jayne


No comments:

Post a Comment